Previous events held at the Davison Art Center
Saturday, September 12 at 11.00am
Special tour of Rembrandt’s Changing Impressions at the Miriam and Ira D. Wallach Art Gallery at Columbia University in New York City. The show includes three etchings borrowed from the DAC collection and the tour will be led by the exhibition’s curator, Robert Fucci ’92. After a light lunch enjoy a guided tour of the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine. Tickets are $55 for members ($65 for the general public) and include lunch. Space is limited, so please call the Wesleyan Box Office at 860.685.3355 to reserve your spot today.
Tuesday, September 29 at 5.00pm
Opening reception and artist’s talk for Phantom Bodies: Photographs by Tanya Marcuse.
Wednesday, October 7 at 12.10pm
Artful Lunch with Terttu Uibopuu, Visiting Assistant Professor of Art.
Thursday, October 22, 2015, 5.00-7.00pm
Friends of the Davison Art Center Soirée
Join the Friends of the Davison Art Center at the President’s House for a special evening of music and art hosted by President Michael Roth and Professor Kari Weil. Enjoy an intimate piano performance by Professor Neely Bruce of American parlor music and vote on one of three works to be added to our distinguished collection. Ticket information coming soon.
Thursday, October 29 at 5.00pm
Panel Discussion: Body, Memory, Photography
Russell House, High Street
Tanya Marcuse, photographer, in conversation with: Victoria Pitts-Taylor (Chair and Professor of Feminist, Gender and Science in Society); Jennifer Tucker (Associate Professor of History; Feminist, Gender and Sexuality Studies; Environmental Studies; and Science in Society); Laura Wexler (Yale University Professor of American Studies and Women’s Gender, and Sexuality Studies; Director of the Photographic Studies Workshop at Yale.) The panelists will discuss the intersections between medical and scientific representations of anatomy, gender, and photographic practice.
Saturday, November 7 at 11.00am
Presentation by David Schorr, Professor of Art and 2015 Binswanger Teaching Award recipient as part of Wesleyan’s Homecoming/Family Weekend
Saturday, November 7 at 1.00pm
Gallery Talk as part of Wesleyan’s Homecoming/Family Weekend
Artful Lunch Series: Clark Maines
Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 12:10pm CANCELLED – TO BE RESCHEDULED IN SPRING 2016
Davison Art Center, Alsop House Dining Room
One artwork, one speaker, fifteen minutes. Join the Friends of the Davison Art Center for a presentation by Clark Maines, Kenan Professor of the Humanities, Professor of Art History, Archaeology, Environmental Studies, and Medieval Studies, about his favorite work in the Davison Art Center collection. Bring your bag lunch and enjoy coffee, homemade cookies, and conversation following the talk.
- February 24 – Artful Lunch – Laurie Nussdorfer, Professor of History and Letters. 12.10pm, Davison Art Center, Alsop House Dining Room.
- March 26 – Opening Reception “Personal Recollections: Gifts from Robert Dannin & Jolie Stahl” 5.00pm – 7.00pm, Conversation in the gallery with Clare Rogan, Curator, Jolie Stahl, and Robert Dannin at 5.30pm
- April 8 – Artful Lunch – Claire Grace, Assistant Professor, Art History. 12.10pm, Davison Art Center, Alsop House Dining Room.
- April 9 – Robert Dannin talk, “The ‘Money Shot’ and Other 20th Century Artifacts”, CFA Hall, 5.00pm
- April 25 – The Big Draw: Middletown, 1.00pm – 4.00pm
- April 28 – Artful Lunch – Lucas McLaughlin ’15. 12.10pm, Davison Art Center, Alsop House Dining Room.
- September 11 – Opening Reception “Call to Action: American Posters in World War I” 5:00pm-7:00pm, Curator Clare Rogan talk 5:30pm
- October 11 – NYC Photo Gallery Tour with Professor and Board Member Andy Szegedy Maszak at 11am
- October 15 – Artful Lunch with Keiji Shinohara at 12:10pm
- October 15, 22, 29 – Wesleyan Institute for Lifelong Learning course “Painting for the People” with Curator Clare Rogan from 6:00-7:30pm
- November 1 (rain date November 2) – FDAC Board Bulb Planting and Breakfast Treats (open to all) at 10am
- November 5 – Student Artful Lunch with Alexa Burzinski ’15
- November 13 – Roundtable Discussion “Posters, Propaganda, and the American Experience in World War I” with Sean McCann, Professor of English; Ronald Schatz, Professor of History; and Richard S. Slotkin, Olin Professor of American Studies, Emeritus. 5pm in CFA Hall
- November 18 – Student Exhibition Opening (curated by Addison McDowell) 5pm-7pm
- December 5 – Holiday Open House 5pm-8pm
- December 7 – Fall Exhibition Closes
- December 7 – Student Exhibition Closes